“Who is God, why do we believe in Him and why does it matter?” It is amazing to me how much evidence for God and His involvement in the affairs of man exists in spite of what those who choose not to accept would like for us to believe. I know that as Christians it is easy to feel like a belief in God is a minority position, but we can be confident as we understand that it is a position supported by the “preponderance of the evidence.”
Perhaps the most amazing thing to me as I consider God is that He would involve Himself in our lives. While there are many things about God, what He chooses to do and what He chooses not to do, that we will never understand, it is amazing that He cares enough about us to involve Himself in the pain, suffering and difficulty that is so much a part of the human condition. There are many that want to argue why a loving God would not prevent these things, but I think that a better question is, “Why would a God that did not have to, come to earth and endure these things?”
Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Instead of arguing for and against the existence of God, we need to be thankful for the fact that “He is” and accept all that this truth means. It means that:
1. We can have hope because He is bigger than the pain, suffering and difficulty that is so often a part of this life. (Romans 8:31-39)
2. We can live on purpose understanding that we were created to honor and glorify Him. (Ephesians 3:14-21)
3. We can live confidently since victory comes from Him and is not something that we must work for. (I Corinthians 15:51-58)
4. We can have joy knowing that every good thing in our life comes from Him. (James 1:17)
5. We can stop worrying about the things that are out of our control and find peace in Him. (Philippians 4:6, Colossians 3:15)
How amazing God is!