1John 4:7-8 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
What an amazing truth is found in one simple phrase, “God is love.” He “Is” love! It is His very character! Understanding that He is love, that love is His defining trait should change the way that we look at ourselves and the world. A deeper treatment of this truth can be found, but here are some areas of perspective that should change with this understanding:
1. Even though we may not understand why God allows some things to come into our lives we can have confidence that it is not with guile or malice but from a heart of love for us.
2. Although God is worthy of praise and will one day receive all praise, He moves on behalf of mankind with our best interests in mind.
3. We will look at others differently understanding that God’s love moved Him to act for all people without respect to the things we often allow to divide us. This should motivate us to act for their good as well.
4. God’s love caused Him to act even when His love would be largely rejected. He loves the unlovely and the ungrateful. So should we.
5. If God could illustrate humble, selfless living as He did in Christ, than there is nothing in our lives that should prevent us from following that example.
6. He is always loving and always good because it is His nature to be so. He is love.
7. Self-centered living on our part is never in accordance with God’s character and will.
8. We are never more like God than when we are serving others and never less like Him than when we are serving ourselves.